Cat Care Society Blog
Cat Care Society is holding a Christmas Ornament Donation Drive this year. Select a picture-themed CCS Cat Ornament for $5.00. Your ornament sponsorship donation goes toward the care of the cats in our shelter!
The ornament you select will have your name on the back and be displayed in the CCS lobby for the entire month of December. Our goal is to have all of the cats currently in our care with Christmas ornaments this December!
In addition to the shelter cat ornaments, our volunteer elves created these "Golden Circle" ornaments for those who want to make a larger year-end donation to the ornament drive:
Shelter Ornament - $2,500 donation
The Cat Clinic Ornament - $2,000 donation
Kitten Room Ornament - $1,500 donation
Meow Mart Ornament - $1,000 donation
Grand Hall Ornament - $500 donation
Nibbles 'n Kibbles Food Bank Ornament - $250 donation
Cat Room Ornaments (Blue, Orange, Gold, Red, Purple or Green Rooms) - $100 donation each
You can arrange your ornament sponsorship at the front desk of the shelter or you can sponsor ornaments online!
Link to the flyer
Link to sponsor ornaments online
Link to the Facebook album to view ornaments
Thank you for your support!!
Featuring delicious baked goods, handcrafted items, cat toys and much more available for purchase at the CCS Meow Mart, all proceeds from the Santa Paws Festival benefit cats in need. In addition to scoring holiday treats and unique gifts for that special cat lady in their lives, festival-goers can enter a raffle for donated prizes from retailers such as Pandora, Woodhouse Day Spa, area restaurants and more. There will be “Spin The Wheel for Cat Prizes” with every Meow Mart purchase, plus photos with that jolly old elf himself, Santa Paws.
“The Santa Paws Festival is a treasured holiday tradition at our cat shelter,” said Jane Dorsey, Cat Care Society Volunteer Coordinator. “We’re proud to showcase the baking and crafting skills of our amazing volunteer corps, while welcoming the community into our facility to see the important work we’re doing to care for cats in need. Bringing the public into our shelter also helps to encourage cat and kitten adoptions into forever homes, which is our number-one goal at CCS.”
Link to the Santa Paws Festival 2015 News Release
Link to the 2015 Santa Paws Festival Flyer
If you are interested in being at Tails of the Painted Cats artist or artist sponsor in 2017, contact Jane Dorsey for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 303.239.9680, ext. 16.
Tails of the Painted Cats through the years:
Here's a Happy Tail about a Cat Care Society alumni, Ruby. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!
Ruby came to the shelter in 2004 as a kitten and she was adopted by an older women with 2 cats and a small dog. She came back to the shelter in 2008 when her person died. She was very shy and depressed and was not eating well. A couple adopted her along with another shelter cat but she continued to do poorly and due to her medical issues she came back to the shelter.
The shelter staff went to great lengths to get her well again but she continued to be very shy and depressed and wouldn't eat. She went downstairs to live in the clinic so the clinic staff could monitor her. She would venture out and climb into the lap of a volunteer who would spend time with her but for the most part, she hid in her kitty bed.
One day someone donated a tall six foot cat tree. It was temporarily stored at the bottom of the stairs. Ruby came across the tree as she wandered around the lower floor and found that she loved hanging out in that tree. Her spirits improved and she started to eat better. The tree became a permanent fixture while Ruby was there and it was decided that it would go home with her when she was adopted.
One of the clinic volunteers had a friend who wanted to adopt a shy cat and she told him "I know just the cat for you". David was introduced to Ruby and he and his wife Meredith fell in love with her. They brought her home and she's been with them ever since.
Here's what David has to say about Ruby: Ruby is now with us for more than 6 years. She still hides when anyone but Meredith or I come into the house. But when she hears Meredith's Jeep pull into the driveway, she trots over to the front door to greet her. When I am sitting at my computer, Ruby comes over to claim me as her territory by scratching at my leg like a scratch-post. I am glad I have mastered the art of keeping her claws trim and safe for my jeans!
One of Ruby's favorite hangouts is her cat tree. This came from the Cat Care Society. When she sits on the top platform, she is six feet off the ground and feels safe and in command of the world. From this platform in front of the window, she watches cars, dog walkers, squirrels, and children walk by.
Even at more than eleven years old, Ruby often believes she is a kitten. This means it's time to play! Lately it is less chase-the-string and more swat-the-ball. I roll a 3" diameter smooth sponge center ball toward Ruby. As the ball nears, she crouches with eyes wide open and ears a little back. When the ball arrives, she swats the ball, returning it to me. She's ready for another one!
As Autumn sets in and the air in the house is cooler, Ruby is more active than during the hot days of summer. As I walk in the house, Ruby sprints past me, insisting she be the first to enter the next room. She asserts her victory by raking her claws on the scratching post in the room, claiming her territory. We sure are glad she lets us live in her house with her.
Thanksgiving is now Cats-Giving at Cat Care During the month of November, every adopter will get to spin the wheel for a reduced adoption fee or free cat stuff!
When you land on:
- Red (4 spaces), you'll receive a reduced adoption fee of $60.
- Purple (2 spaces), you'll receive a free toy from Meow Mart (valued at $5 or less).
- Light blue (2 spaces), you'll receive a free scratch carpet.
- Green (2 spaces), you'll receive a free handmade cat mat.
- Dark blue (1 space), you'll receive a free hard plastic cat carrier.
- Dark blue (1 space), you'll receive a free 6' beige carpeted cat condo.
- Yellow (2 spaces), you'll receive a reduced adoption fee of $70.
In honor of National Cat Day, I thought it would be fun to share some interesting cat facts with you. Enjoy!
- Most kittens are born with blue eyes. They change color as they age.
- There are calico male cats - about one calico in every 3,000 is male. This occurs due to Klinefelter Syndrome. This condition occurs when a male cat possesses an extra X chromosome, which allows for the expression of the calico coat pattern (Vetstreet).
- According to Discover Magazine, cats are near-sighted, but not close-sighted; they cannot see anything less than a foot from them.
- Cats do not have collarbones, which allows them to fit through spaces the size of their heads, according to Trupanion.
- Cats are one of the few mammals that lack taste receptors for sweetness (Discover Magazine).
- According to Purina, more cats are left-pawed than right.
- Approximately 75% of cats respond to catnip (Purina).
- Cats almost never meow at each other - they reserve this type of communication for humans (North Shore Animal League).
- Cats use their whiskers to determine if they can fit through a space.
- According to the North Shore Animal League, a scared feline can run at speeds of up to 31 miles per hour!
- Santa Paws is Coming to Town
- What Food Makes My Cat Have Diarrhea?
- September Feasting for Felines at Jose O'Shea's
- Improvements Continue in The Cat Clinic
- What is FeLV?
- Join Us at the Festival of Felines on Saturday, August 27
- Rocky and Rigby's Crowdfund is Off to an Amazing Start
- The Reality of FIV
- Heather Allen Named Executive Director of Cat Care Society
- Cat Care Society's Nine Lives Programs: The Financial Backbone of the Society
- 9News Petline9 (2)
- Administration (1)
- Adoptable Cats (61)
- Adoption Special (23)
- Alumni Story (12)
- Appreciation (2)
- Artist Call for Entries (1)
- Board of Directors (2)
- Cat Guardianship (1)
- cat health (3)
- Cat Safety (3)
- Cats and 4th of July (1)
- Cats and Fireworks (1)
- click trained cats (2)
- Colorado Gives Day (1)
- Combined Federal Campaign (1)
- Community Shares (1)
- Easter (1)
- Endowment (2)
- event (40)
- Face Painting (5)
- Family Event (15)
- Feasting For Felines (16)
- Festival (16)
- Forever Home (63)
- Foster Care Program (1)
- Fundraising (54)
- Gala Dinner & Auction (19)
- Giving Club (1)
- Habicat (1)
- Happy Tails (11)
- Help Cats (13)
- Home Safety (1)
- Job Opening (1)
- Kitten Fostering (1)
- Kittens (3)
- Legacy Society (1)
- LoveAnimals.org (2)
- News Announcement (2)
- Opt To Adopt Column (37)
- Ornament Drive (5)
- Partners For Pets (1)
- Pet Adoption (61)
- Recurring Giving (1)
- Restaurant Fundraiser (6)
- Santa Paws Festival (2)
- School Tours (1)
- Seminars for Cat People (15)
- Senior Cats (27)
- Shop And Benefit CCS (1)
- Tails of the Painted Cats (37)
- Ticket Reservations (16)
- Tours (3)
- Unique Pet Holiday (3)
- Volunteer Event (1)
- Volunteers (5)
- Wakko Fundraiser (1)
- Wish List (1)